Tuesday 19 March 2013

Seeking a connection


Many people now feel their phone is their lifeline. I am one of these people.  It’s the first thing I check in the morning and the last thing I look at before I go to sleep (sad I know).  Add to this the fact I work in PR, one of the most communicative industries out there, and you’ll begin to see that my phone is so much more than a phone; It’s my livelihood, my connection to colleagues, my clients and the world. I use my phone for nearly everything and it’s always with me. This means there is always a round-the-clock temptation to take mobile phone calls and consult emails, you could say I’m one of those ’24-hour culture’ people.


My close friends and family are used to my ‘condition’ and I’ve heard them mutter ‘it can’t be good for her, never switching off’, ‘does she ever relax’ and (my personal favourite) ‘she loves her phone more than us.’

I’m off to Nepal in a few days for an extended break to see my family. It’s been about five years since my last visit but the almost daily power cuts and unreliable wi-fi remains a vivid and horrific memory.
For the next couple of weeks, the simple task of charging my phone and connecting to the world will become a whole lot more complicated- the very thought of it brings me out in a cold sweat. This means that I’ve approached this holiday with a mix of excitement and trepidation and have spent many a night asking myself whether connectivity is a reasonable price to pay for a temperate climate.

Call it what you will- fate or coincidence, but shortly after booking my holiday late in 2012, we started working with BBOXX, a clean energy company which designs, manufactures and distributes solar-powered battery packs to off-grid communities. Eager to get to know my clients better (and for no personal gain whatsoever) I have decided to take a BBOXX to Nepal.

Once there, I plan to keep a journal to give you the user’s perspective on my BBOXX. My overriding concern right now is that I won’t be able to put the thing together- DIY or electrical goods have always been the bane of my life. Keep your fingers crossed, otherwise my journal will be very heavy on the text, light on the images and no fun for anyone.

By Pema Seely

No comments: