Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Great Social Media Exploitation


A while back, I wrote of how I was growing tired of Facebook. On a personal level, I do feel I’m starting to “come out the other side”; reverting back to the telephone over wall posting, meeting new people at parties rather than on pages, and counting friends on fingers rather than calculators. I did try to get into Twitter, but felt I was shouting into a black hole with no acoustics. I also contemplated Google+, Pinterest and Flickr, but became so overwhelmed by it all that I chose to reclaim my life in the real world. Maintaining other-world existences on all these sites is seriously time consuming. My time is precious to me, so I figured it would be better invested elsewhere.


I do not dismiss the power of social media. For businesses, the many platforms available offer a huge array of opportunities. And for individuals, once you cut away all the frills and hype, a following can be exploited to advantage.


Many people first adopted social media for a number of reasons; curiosity, the need to show off, genuine interest, keeping in touch etc. The next stage of social media is now all about exploitation. People are starting to realise that the followers they have cultivated and nurtured – for whatever reason – can be exploited to their advantage.


One new business that exemplifies this theory is innovative start-up, Victor. The company has basically tapped into the unused private jet seat market, and has set up a service that allows anyone to sign up and book themselves one of these seats at an affordable price. Apparently around 40% of private jet flights are completely empty (having only been booked to fly one leg), and 60% of seats in total are empty. Victor has set up deals with jet companies that allow them to offer these, otherwise wasted seats, to paying customers.


The end cost of each seat depends on the plane’s final capacity; the more seats are reserved, the less tickets will cost. For example, a seat on an empty scheduled flight from London to Barcelona would cost me around £6,500. However, if that 12-seater plane goes on to become fully booked, my ticket would only cost me around £600. Victor therefore allows and encourages members to form online communities, through which they can liaise with each other and coordinate group bookings. There is also – of course – the option of finding new members that will sign up and book…


…Suddenly those 400 friends of mine on Facebook come in handy. Victor offers what sounds like an amazing service and opportunity. I’d never have dreamed I could afford to go on a private jet – but now this is suddenly possible. Surely a few of these “friends” of mine would feel the same? In comes social media exploitation. Suddenly the more friends or followers I have, the more chance I have of flying private. No more check-in queue hell, no more clambering over other passengers to get to the loo, no more strangers’ elbows poking in either side of my rib cage.


Ok, I wonder if those 200-or-so Facebook “friends” I de-friended will be my friend again… 

By Jessica Matthias

No comments: